Zawodzie
The district of Zawodzie is known as the cradle of Kalisz and is situated approx. 2 km south of the city centre.
The proximity of the Prosna River was favourable to settlement. The first grad was raised in the 2nd half of the 9th century on the site of a pagan cemetery. The grodzisko (Slavic hill fort) achieved its greatest reach in the 10th century and was one of the most important centres of the Piast realm. Legend has it that St. Wojciech came here by boat to give a sermon. The first church in Zawodzie was erected in the 1st half of the 11th century.
The centre’s development is connected with the reign of Mieszko III the Old (c. 1122-1202), Duke of Kalisz and Wielkopolska. The stone St. Paul Collegiate Church was raised on its foundations and was meant to serve as a necropolis for the rulers of Kalisz. Even the duke and the son that predeceased him, Mieszko Mieszkowic, are buried here. A gilded wooden processional cross and a stone tombstone have been uncovered. The collegiate church reflected the rulers’ ambitions. The title “king” appears on coins minted by Jewish moneyers in Kalisz.Zawodzie was enclosed by a craftsmen’s settlement with the Church of St. Wojciech.and a market settlement on the site of today’s old-town marketplace.
The early medieval hill fort, which was opened on the Zawodzie Archaeological Reserve in 2008, comprises a full-scale reconstruction of the basement of the St. Paul Collegiate Church, a two-storey defensive tower, a wooden bridge, and fragments of palisades, a stockade and a defensive embankment. There are also seven wooden houses with a variety of structures, a stone kurgan (burial mound) reminiscent of a cemetery and crematorium, and two granite models of the entire reconstruction of the reserve and collegiate church. A late 18th-century wooden cottage, now used for ethnographic exhibitions, was brought to the hill fort from the old town.
The reserve is a branch of the Kalisz Regional Museum. Outdoor “medieval” events are staged here in summer.cited after:http://regionwielkopolska.pl/en/catalogue-of-attractions/zawodzie-archaeological-reserve-in-kalisz.html
Our Comenius meeting headed to Zawodzie to get more historical perspective on our town. We visited the fort but also the exposition of houses especially the interiors of the past to see how people lived in the past.
DSC02558.JPG
Turkish and Italian principals in the tower. Who's going to save them?
DSC02575.JPG
With the fort in the background.
DSC02579.JPG
Margherita in the snow trying to make an angel. They never have snow in the south of Italy.
DSC02580.JPG
An angel with no head!!
DSC02586.JPG
Hatice and Raidar wearing armour and shield.
DSC02593.JPG
Hatice may be dangerous with the sword.
DSC02594.JPG
DSC02596.JPG
Norwegian students getting ready to fight.
DSC02598.JPG
The girls getting ready to fight with boys.
DSC02604.JPG
The girls are winning.
DSC02605.JPG
DSC02606.JPG
DSC02611.JPG
Victory is sweet.
DSC02616.JPG
Tug of war - girls against boys.
DSC02617.JPG
DSC02619.JPG
DSC02625.JPG
I'm very sorry for you - boys.
DSC02630.JPG
Friendship.
DSC02632.JPG
Slovakian team
DSC02634.JPG
All international students' photo.
DSC02637.JPG
Time to eat - sausages over fire.
DSC02640.JPG
So many hungry people.